Sunday, May 8, 2011

Best Mom in the Whole World

I must admit that I wasn't thinking about Mother's Day when I scheduled our Jacksonville trip, but it turns out that returning home the day before the holiday was a really great choice.  This week I was officially named "Best Mom in the Whole World" by Sk8terdude.  (Fortunately for me, he was the only child voting).  I've had more hugs, kisses, and thank yous from him over the last few days than I've had in the last few months (maybe even years).  So I can't say I was surprised when my morning started with Sk8terdude willingly getting in the car with Sk8terdad to run some Mother's Day errands, including picking out a card, buying a basket of pastries/muffins from my favorite local bakery, and getting my daily dose of Starbucks.

I am, however, more than a little surprised by how my day is ending:  Sk8terdude and I are sitting together watching Street League Seattle.  After watching the first half hour, we set the DVR so we could go out to dinner, then returned to watch the end.  By itself, that's not so surprising.  What is surprising is that apparently I've learned a few things along the way that I never thought I would know OR care about.

In addition to knowing who Rob Dyrdek is (and, fyi, being incredibly impressed by him), I can recognize and correctly identify many of the skaters in the competition (Nyjah Huston, Chaz Ortiz, Shane O'Neill, Ryan Sheckler, Chris Cole, and, now, Billy Marks).  And I can finally identify the difference between an ollie and a nollie (which might have happened sooner if someone had told me before now that nollie = nose + ollie).

The biggest surprise of all is how much I'm enjoying watching!  I love the format of the Street League competitions.  Unlike a jam session, this format allows me to watch each skater and really understand what tricks each skater is attempting.  And having it on DVR means I can rewind and watch a trick a second time if I need to.  There are still nuances that escape me.  For example, if two skaters do the same trick, and they both land it, I can't necessarily tell if one did it better than another.  Are there subtle differences in balance and style that I can't see?  Maybe...but I have a little more than three months until we attend the August finals in New Jersey, and I'm determined to know a little more by the time we get to the Prudential Center.  After all, I won't be able to hear the color commentary when we're sitting in the stands!

Watching (and enjoying) a skateboarding competition is a Mother's Day activity I could never have predicted once upon a time - before kids, and before Sk8terdude became a skateboarder - but now I can't imagine not sharing this with him.  And if supporting his interest in skateboarding is what it takes to be the "Best Mom in the Whole World," then I'm okay with that.  In fact, I wouldn't have it any other way.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your title win! My youngest brother, now 15, had a huge interest in skateboarding a few years ago. I loved watching him practice while I cringed at watching him practice! I'm so amazed at the tricks these skaters can pull off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am here from the future via Time Warp Tuesday and so glad that you decide to join us this month! Welcome, welcome, welcome!

    I love the last paragraph of your post as I feel that it captures so well why you are the "best mom in the whole world," as least in Sk8terdude's eyes. I really appreciate how you have embraced something your son enjoys so much! There are plenty of things that my 8 year-old son is into that I would not have imagined and though I try to be into those thing to, somethings are easier for me to show interest in than others.

    This year we have been reading the Harry Potter Series together which has been an awesome experience.

    Anyway, I am glad that your Mother's Day last year was so fabulous and am proud of you for supporting your son's love of skateboarding, I think it says a lot about who you are as a person and a mother to give your son so much of your time, love and attention, no matter what he wants to pursue in life.

    Heading back to the future now to read your new Time Warp post! Also, I would love to hear your thoughts on the post I am reflecting on this month and the new one that I wrote about "mothering" for this theme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, am hear from the future. I have admired all year the way you have supported your son, not just in not saying "no" to his passion, but in devoting so much of you own time and energy to it. You are an enthusiastic supporter, and your kid knows that. So his vote is spot on!

    ReplyDelete